Quick Links
"I was lucky enough to see your Sherman Tank...over Presidents Day weekend. It isn't every day you get to see a WWII tank driving along and firing its main gun. Thanks you for your efforts to bring this tank back to life."

Frank H., Email
Read More

Special Presentation: 101st Airborne-"Screaming Eagles"

Aug 19, 2017

WHAT: Open to the public, Planes of Fame Air Museum (Chino, CA) presents a Special Presentation: 101st Airborne Division 'Screaming Eagles'. A speaker panel of distinguished veterans is featured, followed by a question & answer period.

All 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles, Veterans and Active Duty will receive FREE entrance to Planes of Fame Air Museum on the Day of the Event!  The Museum is open to the Public, General Admission is $11; for children 11 yrs and under, admission is $4. ages 4 and under are FREE! (excludes special events) FREE admission for Planes of Fame Members! Click here to become a Member!


Ed “Doc” Pepping - 101st Airborne, 506th PIR, Easy Company one of the Original Band of Brothers depicted in the HMO Mini Series. Ed was among the Airborne men on D-Day who parachuted in Normandy. After recovering from his injuries as a result of his jump that day, he found himself in the vicinity of Veirville/Angonville-au-Plain working with another medic in that area ferrying wounded to the aid station. Using a captured German jeep, the other medic drove while Ed nursed whomever they picked up. ”Doc” Pepping wound up in Vierville the next day. Col. William turner, commanding 1st battalion, was there in Vierville. Since 1st battalion did not have any medics, Ed was ordered to accompany Col. Turner, his men and his Sherman tanks. When 1st battalion moved out, a German sniper picked off Col. Turner. Ed saw what was happening and made for the tank. “Doc” pulled Col. Turner out, but Col. Turner was already dead from a massive head wound. Ed “Doc” Pepping authored the book, “Beyond the Band of Brothers”.

Bob Izumi - 442nd Regimental combat Team & 101st Airborne - Three-time war veteran Bob Izumi though reluctant to share his past, has a very storied history worth telling, a story of service that spans WWII, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. At the White House, Izumi received the Congressional Gold Medal – the highest civilian award – for service in WWII with the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, and spoke about his career that began when he enlisted in the Army out of a Japanese internment camp. Izumi was born in Pomona, CA to Japanese florists. The day young Bob learned that Japan had attacked Pearl Harbor turned out to be the same day he learned his family would be upended to Manzanar Relocation Center. He left the camp to finish his education in Iowa and joined the U.S. Army and the 442nd in June 1944. Although he had essentially lived as a prisoner in his own country, he remained positive and his desire to fly planes led him to enlist in the Army at the age of 17. Izumi had wanted to join the Air Force, but was (erroneously) told by a recruiter that there were no Japanese Americans allowed to enter into the Air Force, so he had to join the Army. Before long, he was transferred to the 101st Airborne Division. As a member of the Parachute Infantry Regiment, Izumi made a total of 318 jumps into Italy, France and Austria, where he went into Adolf Hitler’s hideout. He stood special guard for Dwight Eisenhower and George Patton. When he returned to the U.S. after World War II, Izumi transferred to the Air Force, which is the branch he originally wanted to join. During the Korean War, he rescued unwanted children left in fields and transported them to an orphanage. The South Korean president honored the humble soldier with a Humanitarian Certificate. He also received the South Vietnamese Armed Forces Honor Medal and a Bronze Star for saving a downed American pilot in the Vietnam War. Upon leaving the Air Force, Izumi took a job as a hobby shop manager at the Marine Corps Logistics Base in Barstow, Calif. He retired in 2004 after running the shop for 27 years. The sum total of Izumi’s service to this country is nearly 60 years and not surprisingly, Izumi is ready to give it another go.

Bill Galbraith - 101st Airborne 506th PIR - Bill was born and raised in Southern-California and enlisted in the US army on September 9th, 1942. Bill decided to join a newly created fighting force, the paratroops. He was sent to Toccoa, Georgia, where he was assigned to Company I of the 506th PIR. The 506th PIR was an experimental unit of paratroopers that consisted of volunteers recruited from civil life. Bill trained as a .30 cal light-machine gunner. At Fort Benning, he received parachute training. Bill made his five qualifying jumps and earned his parachute wings. Now he could officially call himself a paratrooper. Now the men of the 101st Airborne Division were prepared to invade fortress Europe. In September 1943, the 506th PIR regiment was shipped to England. Bill came to be stationed on Exeter airfield, where Company I boarded their C-47 Troop Carrier planes for the invasion of Normandy. Bill’s company was one of the last companies to jump into Normandy, landing close to Saint-Come-du-Mont. He met up with a large group of paratroopers from the 501st PIR and joined this fighting force at a spot of an intense battle, which was later called ‘Hell’s Corner’. Later Bill participated in a large offensive executed by the 101st Airborne Division known as the ‘battle for Bloody Gully’. During the attack Bill served as a light-machine gunner, covering the attack. Bill got out of Normandy unscathed and returned to England with the division. After a short time in England, the 101st Airborne Division prepared for another Airborne invasion in the Netherlands, called Market Garden. Bill jumped into the Netherlands as an acting Sergeant for the S-3 section of third battalion on September 17, 1944 and engaged in a fearsome fight. The next morning, September 18, third battalion was the leading element in the attack on Eindhoven. Bill, together with Captain Kiley and the S-3 section, reached the church on the Vlokhovenseweg. Captain Kiley saw that Company H lagged behind in the attack and ordered Bill to find a radioman and let Company H know that they had to speed up. Captain Kiley told Bill to stay low or he will get shot. Just then Captain Kiley was killed by a shot to the neck. Finally, the battalion reached the Woenselsestraat. Bill and the battalion encountered two 88mm guns which were placed on the Woenselsestraat and the Kloosterdreef. The first round from one of these guns exploded close to Bill and shrapnel struck his leg, blowing him of his feet. The second shot fired by the gun exploded close to Bill again, now wounding his shoulder. He was treated by a local shop owner then later by an Army medic. Bill was sent to the 326th Airborne Medical Company hospital where he received surgery. His company lost half its men when three planes were taken out by the German guns. In all, 30 members of his company survived the jump. “There’s so few of us left now that survived the war,” he said. And the enormity of the mission they tackled continues to amaze him. Galbraith fought in France for about a month before returning to England. In September 1944, the 506th jumped into Holland in a daring daylight raid. Once on the ground, Galbraith was shot in the shoulder and the leg. He spent four years in military hospitals after the war and still gets regular treatment and therapy from the Veterans Affairs for wounds suffered almost 70 years.

Muriel Engelman - U.S. Army Nurse, Battle of the Bulge - Muriel Phillips was a US Army nurse stationed in a general tent hospital in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge. Her wartime experiences are featured in her personal memoir, Mission Accomplished: Stop the Clock and she is also featured in the U.S. section of Women Heroes of World War II: 26 Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Resistance, and Rescue, both excerpted below. (In addition, she is the platoon leader of the group of army nurses who can be seen marching across the cover of "Women Heroes of WWII"). Muriel wrote about a two-month German, V-1 “buzz bomb” bombing spree over her area in a letter to her cousin, dated November 26, 1944 while stationed at a hospital unit near Liege. Muriel tells of her battlefield dangers: "Never in my year overseas have I put in such a hectic life as I have the past few weeks and I'm afraid if the buzz bombs continue annoying us the way they have, I won't have to worry about any postwar plans. We've been lucky so far, having had some narrow squeaks, but it can't last. It's the most awful feeling in the world when you hear the motor of the bomb stop almost above you and then wait a few seconds for the explosion. I'd rather have it all at once and get it over with, but then, Hitler never consulted me. Incidentally, keep this mum, won't you, as I wouldn't want my mother or Ruth to worry though frankly, I'm scared silly and for the first time in my life I've lost my appetite.” - "I'm on night duty in our tent hospital which is in a sea of mud, and with the continual rain for the past 2 1/2 weeks, it will never dry out. The work has been hard and the hours long but I really feel satisfied now because we're doing the stuff we came overseas for, and they really need us. Our quarters are in the heart of a city, some miles from here, so we have to commute each night -- leaving there at 5:00 p.m. and getting back at 10 the next morning -- and we're supposed to sleep. Sleep, however, is out of the question when buildings all around us are being bombed and each time they get it, the force practically knocks us out of bed." Muriel, who eventually nursed men wounded in the Battle of the Bulge, has this to say about the different uniforms they were issued: "We did not wear our white army uniforms once we went overseas but wore drab fatigues or coveralls, that we called "zoot suits." Then just before we went to France we were issued our "combat pants" with liners that provided more warmth than the fatigues, and wore long underwear under the liners once winter set in for good in Belgium. And our helmet liners were the head gear we wore all the time, replacing the nurses' caps. During periods of bombings, then we wore the three-pound steel helmets over the helmet liners, when we'd try to worm as much of ourselves as possible into those helmets." Muriel authored the book – “Mission Accomplished

Paul Martinez - President of 101st Airborne Association So Cal. - Paul parachuted into Normandy in Operation Market Garden and was at the Battle of the Bulge. He currently is the President of the 101st Airborne Association in Southern California.

Robert Crebbs - Master sergeant- Vietnam 101st Aiborne Co. D. SPT Bn. – Bob is a Retired Special Forces Master Sergeant, and retired Supervisory Special Agent of the US Dept. of Justice, INS, Border Patrol Service. Bob attended the Special Forces Qualification Course where he received Special Forces Medical and Special Forces Communication training. He served as a combat Medic with the 101st Airborne Division in Viet Nam. He later returned to the Special Forces as a Combat Medic. He was assigned to the Operations and Intelligence sections of several Special Forces Reserve Companies and Battalions. He was the Senior Operations & Intelligence NCO for Special Operations Command, Korea. Currently Bob is serving as the Command Sergeant Major for the 40th Inf. Division (M) Support Brigade, a California State Military Reserve volunteer position. During his career in the Immigration Naturalization Service, Bob served as a Border Patrol Agent, Criminal Investigator, Special Agent, Supervisory Special Agent, Immigration Officer and District Adjudications Officer. His duties included Firearms Instructor, Impact Weapons Instructor, and First Aid/CPR Instructor. Bob is a Certified Instructor under the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards of Training (POST) in Firearms, Impact Weapons and in First Aid/CPR. He received training from both military and civilian programs in the areas of VIP and Dignitary Protection. Bob has been a Firearms and Impact Weapons Instructor at California Security Academy for several years. He is a staff instructor for the Combat Handgun, Shotgun and Tactical Rifle courses. Bob attended and taught several courses in Terrorism and Anti-Terrorist Tactics. He was assigned to the “Joint Anti-Terrorist Teams” during the 1984 Olympics and the 1994 World Cup Soccer games. He was the Agent in Charge of the Anti-Terrorist section in the Los Angeles Office and in charge of the INS, Anti-Terrorist Operations Center, during the 1984 Olympics.

WHEN: Saturday, August 19, 2017, 10am–12 noon: Speaker program & flight demonstration. Museum doors open at 9:00am.

: Planes of Fame Air Museum, 14998 Cal Aero Drive, Chino, CA 91710-9085

: It is the Mission of Planes of Fame Air Museum to preserve aviation history, inspire interest in aviation, educate the public, and honor aviation pioneers and veterans. The Museum sponsors regular events in the form of inspirational experiences, educational presentations, flight demonstrations, and airshows in fulfillment of this mission.

Planes of Fame Air Museum, ‘Where Warbirds Fly and Aviation History Lives