Fred Weick, who came to work for the American company ERCO (Engineering and Research Corporation) from NACA, continued to develop his low-wing monoplane, which was the ERCO 310 prototype. His aircraft focused on maximum safety and simplicity. The easy-to-fly 310 had tricycle gear and would not spin or stall. ERCO (Engineering and Research Corporation) first manufactured the Ercoupe, which first flew in October 1937. After WW2, several other manufacturers continued producing these aircraft.
In 1940, ERCO put the Ercoupe 415 on the market for the public to buy. However, WW2 interrupted production resulting in only 112 manufactured before the war. Some were supplied to the military, used by the Civil Air Patrol looking for German submarines.
In 1945, ERCO resumed production resulting in the model 415-C. These aircraft became so popular that over 4,300 of them sold in 1946, and the price was right as well at around $2,600.
Other manufacturers of the Ercoupe included Univair, Aeronca, and Sanders Aviation. ERCO produced the Planes of Fame Air Museum’s Ercoupe 415-C in 1946 as a safe and simple-to-fly general aviation aircraft with single, control-wheel controls pitch and steering, eliminating the need for rudder pedals.
Status: Static Display
Manufacturer: Engineering and Research Corporation
Model: Ercoupe 415-C
Registration Number: N99664
Serial Number: 2287
Max T/O Weight: 1,260 lb.
Span: 30 ft. 0 in.
Length: 20 ft. 9 in.
Height: 5 ft. 11 in.
Maximum Speed: 110 mph
Cruise Speed: 95 mph
Rate of Climb: 550 ft/min
Power Plant: 1 x 75hp Continental C75-12, 4-cylinder air-cooled, horizontally-opposed piston engine