The Lockheed C-60 Lodestar is a military conversion of the Lockheed Model 18 passenger transport developed in 1940. Having already evaluated the Lodestar prior to December 7th 1941, the U.S. military commandeered more than 100 civilian models and pressed them into service under the designations C-59 or C-60, depending on the engines and other equipment used. By the end of the war, an additional 346 C-60s were constructed for the Army Air Force and used as transports, paratroop carriers, and glider tugs.
The aircraft's long range and large payload made it a favorite among high-ranking officers. As its reputation grew, aircraft were delivered to the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. The Royal Air Force received 10 C-60s, which it used throughout the Middle East as air ambulances and for other transport functions.
After the war, commandeered aircraft were returned to their original owners. Other C-60's were declared surplus and sold to civilian companies who extended their usefulness beyond the war.
The museum's C-60 saw service with the Royal Canadian Air Force and the Royal Air Force.
Manufacturer: Lockheed Aircraft Corporation
Model: C-60 Lodestar
Registration Number: C-60
Max T/O Weight: 19,200 lb.
Span: 65 ft. 6 in.
Length: 49 ft. 10 in.
Height: 11 ft. 10 in.
Maximum Speed: 253 mph
Cruise Speed: 200 mph
Rate of Climb: 1,600 ft/min
Power Plant: 2 x Wright R-1820-71 air-cooled radial engines, 1,200 hp each