The P-40 is most widely known as the aircraft of the Flying Tigers, aka the American Volunteer Group (AVG), who began fighting the Japanese in China during the early days of the Pacific war.
The P-40 was not as maneuverable as the aircraft types flown by the Japanese.
The P-40 was built in a number of variants, sold to several foreign air forces, and operated under a plethora of names.
It was known as the Warhawk to the USAAF, while the British Commonwealth countries called the early versions Tomahawks and the later versions Kittyhawks. A number served with the Soviet Air Force, under the lend-lease program.
The aircraft served in all theaters of WW2.
Purchased by Edward Maloney in 1960 and restored to flight by Planes of Fame Air Museum in 1980.
This airplane is also one of the Museum’s few actual combat veterans, having shot down a Japanese incendiary balloon off British Columbia.
The Museum's aircraft is a Kittyhawk IV (equivalent to the P-40N in USAAF service), flown by the Royal Canadian Air Force. It is painted in the markings of the 325th Fighter Group.
Appearances in the movies Pearl Harbor and Valkyrie.
Manufacturer: Curtiss-Wright Corporation
Model: P-40N Warhawk
Registration Number: N85104
Serial Number: F858
Max T/O Weight: 8,850 lb.
Span: 37 ft. 4 in.
Length: 33 ft. 4 in.
Height: 9 ft. 8 in.
Maximum Speed: 378 mph
Cruise Speed: 288 mph
Rate of Climb: 1860 ft/min
Power Plant: 1, 1,200-hp Allison V-1710-81 V-12 liquid-cooled engine