The Douglas Aircraft Invader was originally designated the A-26, the last "attack bomber" to be so designated. The A-26 first flew in July 1942 exceeding every performance guarantee and able to carry twice the bomb load specified. The Invader retains the distinction of being the only U.S. bomber to fly missions in three wars: World War II, Korea, and Vietnam.
The museum's aircraft was built in Tulsa, OK and delivered to the USAAF in March 1945 as A-26C/#44- 35323. It was delivered to the ETO (European Theatre of Operations) in April 1945. It was converted in Japan to an RB-26C in 1951 with a camera in the clear nose, installation of additional reconnaissance gear in the bomb bay, and the reduction of defensive armament. The aircraft was assigned to the 12th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron "Blackbirds."
The aircraft returned to the U.S. in 1956 and was transferred to Davis-Monthan AFB for storage. It was sold as surplus in 1958 and flown by various corporations until its conversion to an air-tanker in 1970.
The aircraft was donated to the Air Museum by Dr. Don Rogers of Anchorage, AK in July 1980 and was flown as the solid-nosed Ginny Sue. The aircraft underwent a second reconstruction beginning in 1987 and is now based at our Valle, AZ facility flying as the glass-nosed RB-26C "A-Haulin Ass" (with appropriate donkey nose art on the port side) and carrying the insignia of the 12th TRS "Blackbirds" (on the starboard side).
Manufacturer: Douglas Aircraft Company
Model: RB-26C Invader
Registration Number: N8026E
Serial Number: 44-35323
Max T/O Weight: 35,000 lb.
Span: 70 ft. 0 in.
Length: 51 ft. 3 in.
Height: 18 ft. 6 in.
Maximum Speed: 355 mph
Cruise Speed: 284 mph
Rate of Climb: 1,250 ft/min
Power Plant: 2 x Pratt & Whitney R-2800-79 radial engines (with water injection), 2,000 hp. each
Range: 1,400 mi
Service Ceiling: 22,100 ft.
Armament: Underwing hard points for bombs or missiles