Introduced in 1941, the Grumman TBF/TBM Avenger was to become the U.S. Navy’s standard torpedo-bomber throughout World War II.
Production totaled more than 9,830, nearly three-quarters of them built under the designation TBM by the Eastern Aircraft division of General Motors.
Those built by Grumman were designated TBF and affectionately called "Turkeys" by their crews.
Assigned the US Navy bureau number 91264, Planes of Fame Air Museum’s Grumman TBM-3E Avenger (built by General Motors), was accepted into service on July 19, 1945.
Placed in the pool of operational aircraft assigned to the USS Franklin (CV-13) in 1945, the fact that the aircraft carrier had been damaged that year and was not repaired in time to return to combat meant that this the Museum's Avenger did not see combat service.
Served at NAS Weymouth, Massachusetts and at Norfolk, Virginia until August 1949 and eventually wound up at NAF El Centro, California where it was struck off charge on January 1, 1950.
Obtained by Planes of Fame Air Museum in 1959 and licensed as N7835C and restored to flight in 1983.
Took part in the 50th Anniversary of U.S. Naval Aviation ceremonies at NAS North Island, California in 1961