Flying Demo of the North American P-51D Mustang
2nd of October, 2021
Saturday, October 2, 2021 at 11:45am.
The Museum’s P-51D was the 40th (of 200) P-51D-30 variant built in Dallas, Texas and delivered into service on July 26, 1945. It went immediately into storage at Kelly Field, San Antonio, Texas. In late 1947 it was assigned to the 31st Fighter Group (Turner Air Force Base, Albany, GA), serving with the Strategic Air Command until that unit transitioned to jet aircraft. From March 1949 until December 1956, the aircraft served with Air National Guard units in Tennessee, Vermont, and West Virginia. The Museum acquired the aircraft in November 1957, making it the longest privately-held P-51D under the same owner.
Flying Demo of the North American P-51D "Mustang":
- Doors Open at 9:00am
- Brief Presentation at 11:45am
- Engine Start and Taxi at 12:00pm
- Flight over the Museum until 12:30pm
- Question & Answer with pilot follows flight
- Coffee/smoothies, food and beverage service, used book and model kit sales, new items in Gift Shop, Museum Guides, Living History re-enactors, the B-17 will be open, and other fun activities for guests!
- Flyover of B-17 "Sentimental Journey" and our P-51
See you Saturday, October 2, 2021.